Philosophy is probably the only subject that not only provides knowledge, but educates. It gives you new perspectives about the world and life at large. It enables you to think, dig deep and analyse. And yes, it also lets you earn well! We list five reasons why you should study philosophy.
1. It’s interesting: Philosophy is an interesting subject that inspires people to wonder about the how, what, where and when of the issues that confront them. Where else do you try to reason, analyse and critique to arrive at logical answers to life’s most fundamental questions? Philosophy does not seek knowledge, but deep understanding and wisdom.
2. It’s varied: Philosophy courses are extremely varied in nature. From courses that focus on moral issues to science, history, math, political science, even religion—philosophy touches all facets of life. You can also find courses on philosophies of the eastern and western worlds, issues facing the world, or even works of earlier philosophers.
3. It hones your problem-solving skills: Philosophy is one of the most practical subjects you can study. It challenges you to question everything and helps you arrive at logical answers. Even at work, you tackle problems in a rational way. You think logically, and use critical analysis to solve problems. Instead of being part of the problem, you become a problem-solver, which makes you an asset for potential employers.
4. It broadens your horizons: It is a myth that students pursuing philosophy end up teaching! There are diverse fields like journalism, medicine, law and management that provide numerous career opportunities for philosophy graduates. And if you are apprehensive about the salaries on offer, you can rest assured as most jobs are well-paying ones.
5. It helps you prioritise: Having developed an intellect that helps you look for rational answers to life’s problems, you become a well rounded person. You can prioritise things that are important to you and things that make you happy, and make better life choices.
And finally, the biggest reason why you should study philosophy can be summed up beautifully in Rene Descartes words: “It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.”